Wednesday, April 4, 2012

3/31-4/2: we visited the beautiful city of Amsterdam. The canals are as beautiful as everyone claims they are!


Unfortunately they didn't have a specific specialty food they are known for but I did particularly like their cheese! I'm not sure if it was the cheese themselves but they had samples out and they had such a variety I tried them all. Once we sampled everything, whenever we stumbled across another Dutch cheese store, there would always be a similar sampling and we could not resist ourselves (this probably happened three or four times! I know, we're bad) but I particularly like the Gouda, the herbed goat cheese, and their pesto cheese. Alongside all the cheeses they also had a selection of mustards to sample with the cheese. It was the first time I paired mustard and cheese but it was delicious!
 We also went in to go look at Baklava. I noticed they have a decent sized population of Turks in Amsterdam. So we went into a store close by our host's, Remy, apartment but didn't decide to get anything but the owner gave us each a piece to try! Unfortunately I didn't get a picture, me being the impatient lady I am devoured the little piece without even thinking. (Later on, we told Remy what happened and he said we were lucky because that rarely happens!)

Other attractions we visited:

  • The Keukenhoff garden- absolutely beautiful. Although, we went kind of early in the season so not all the bulbs had flowered but nevertheless beautiful. 



  • The Anne Frank House- Such an interesting yet haunting experience 



  • The Red Light District- We kind of got lost trying to find it and ended up stumbling upon it. I turned my head and was taken aback. I was scared to even take my camera out in this area, but you really don't want/need pictures from here. 
  • The IAmsterdam sign in Vondel Park 


  • and the city centre of Amsterdam 




Very nice and quaint city, super walkable, I loved the buildings and the canals and people were very friendly. Besides missing my train out of Amsterdam, it was a super chill visit. I loved wandering the streets and into random cutesy stores.
Next city- Berlin, Germany. Jo's fav. She hates me a little right now. :P

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment