Sunday, April 1, 2012

The adventures of backpacking through Europe
Spring Break 2012 with my friend Erin
Destination #1: Brussels, Belgium

We arrived in Brussels with no real plan in mind except that we wanted to get waffles, taste the chocolate and inhale some frites. And that was exactly what we did. Upon arriving in the city center (it took us a while to get there navigating by bus then walking in circles for a bit) we were welcomed with smells of waffles vendors, the hustle and bustle of the city-goers and tourists and tall towering buildings. We knew we were getting close to our final destination (Grand Place) when we started seeing chocolate shops every other store and many souvenir shops.

Being on a budget, as tempting as it was, we didn't want to spend a fortune buying chocolate and that was when the samples came in handy. We weaved in and out of almost all the chocolate shops munching on whatever the shop had to offer and oh my was I in heaven. It was so glorious.

My favorite among many were banana flavored chocolate (I never would have thought, but it was actually really tasty!) and chocolate with hazelnut cream on the inside. I could not get over it. Belgium chocolate definitely has a richer and creamier taste than any other chocolates I've ever tasted.
 And then of course there were the waffles. We had no idea where to start! There were some fancier waffles shops, but what you really had to do is go to the street vendors. We got to try both. In the end, our vote definitely went to the street vendors. They were fresher and cheaper and added to the whole experience. The liege waffles was what you had to get. They are generally thicker consistency and sweeter. You can top off your waffle with any kind of topping you can think of: nutella, whipped cream, strawberries, bananas, white chocolate, milk chocolate and ice cream. 
This was the first waffle I had. We had decided to go to a sit down cafe that served waffles (a guy working at a chocolate shop had recommended it). I was craving ice cream on my waffle, so I got a Liege waffle with a little pitcher of melted Belgium chocolate on the side. It was sooo good! On the other hand, Erin was not so happy with hers. She got the Brussels Waffle, but hers was cold and not as fresh as she'd like it so definitely not up to par. She was not happy with the price she had to pay either. 
Ultimately, we vowed to justify her experience but getting another round of waffles the next day. And hey, I wasn't complaining. This time, we went for the street vendors and followed the crowd to a street vendor. I got my waffle with strawberries and bananas drizzled with chocolate, and Erin got her strawberries and whipped cream waffles. Sweet redemption! We were both happy with our waffles this time around. 
Everything was divine. and something about eating it on the street in front of this little guy

made the moment all the better. :) 

And finally, the Belgium Frites. Nothing special about these guys, but they were pretty tasty if I do say so myself. The sauce was what made them unique. I can't remember exactly what the sauce was called but it was a mustard and mayonnaise combination with a little bit of a kick. 

nom nom nom! 

Only in Belgium. I definitely fulfilled my Belgium experience by indulging in all of the above but hey, I you gotta live a little right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment